For the season of Advent, I am leading a Sunday School series at River Oaks Church entitled, “The Genesis of Jesus: Exploring the Fourfold Gospel ‘Beginnings.'”
The series will cover how each gospel gives an account of the origins of Jesus and will interact with how the NT authors understand the fulfillment of Israel’s Scriptures in the incarnation of Jesus. The outline is as follows:
- Session 1: Matthew 1–2, why start with a genealogy?
- Session 2: Matthew 1–2 and the fulfillment of Scripture
- Session 3: Luke 1–2 and the fulfillment of Scripture
- Session 4: Luke 1–2 and the Jesus/John the Baptist comparison
- Session 5: Mark 1 and the “beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ”
- Session 6: John 1 and “in the beginning was the Word”